Tuesday, February 24, 2009

jacques pepin makes good pears

I'm having trouble telling the difference between general toddler curiosity and things that are of particular interest to Nate. For instance, he can name virtually every kind of truck and has memorized all the names of the Thomas engines, but this is a really common thing amongst kids these days. On the other hand, he really seems to have a special interest in food and cooking, and I'm starting to think it's a bit unusual. For instance, he would probably tell you his favorite spice is paprika, and per his request, we have spent many an afternoon looking through our pantry, smelling and feeling all the different ingredients. For months, perhaps even a year, he could correctly identify penne in a pasta lineup. He often asks us to list the ingredients in whatever we're eating. And just a few days ago he said, "Jacques Pepin makes good pears." While this is quite accurate, it also got me wondering how many other two-year-olds know that Jacques Pepin not only exists, but that he cooks good things? So, that's a little atypical, right?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you need any more evidence that the kid takes after his father? Out of curiosity, how much Food Network have you exposed him to?

Anonymous said...

The next Gordon Ramsay, I fear...

Anonymous said...

I'm no expert, but yes. Definitely unusual. Also definitely awesome and adorable.

stephchows said...

that's AWESOME!!!! He needs to start a food blog about his cooking adventures :D Or he can be a guest blogger on mine whenever he likes! :D That's actually a really fun idea!! Nate and Thad want to guest blog next time you cook something up!?(neva you can come too) ;)

carlbohudakson said...

Actually, I don't know if Nate's ever watched the Food Network. We're still stuck on Tommy the Train. Perhaps that would be a good way to expose him to something he likes without frying my brain on those goofy trains (or, worse yet, Dora!)

Gordon Ramsay - yikes! I hope he's at least a nice chef, like Tom Colicchio.

Wendy said...

that is hilarious. he is a foodie.

Thad said...

Nate could easily start a food blog. He's already made his on pasta dough and lasagna, and just the other day made the swedish coffee bread recipe passed down from his great great grandmother (I think).

Sol said...

i'll be impressed when he can name every style of beer

Anonymous said...

He's a prodigy!!! It's so wonderful that he wants to know the ingredients in things.....All these stories from you, and here I am psyched that Samantha now likes eggs. :)

Anonymous said...

This brought a tear to my eye..I am so proud :)