Tuesday, June 16, 2009

to sleep, perchance to dream – ay there's the rub!

Frankly, I had been planning on writing this for a week or two now, and am just getting around to it (work's been very busy recently - a good thing, but not so good for my blogging!) And, of course, it seems like our woes may be coming to an end before I even get a chance to whine about them. C'est la vie! Anyway, please join me as I step back into the past with me by a week or two [Wayne's World back-in-time noises here]...

We have had a really tough time with Nate's sleeping recently. He'd been doing very well in his new bed for the first month or so, but recently started getting up a lot when we'd have preferred for him to be sleeping (usually to look out the window). Bedtime was an issue. We'd go through our routine, tucked him in, go downstairs, and then hear his unnaturally loud footsteps running around his bedroom. This would happen repeatedly, and he'd eventually go to sleep (sometimes after we did!) Then he'd wake up again sometime in the middle of the night and be running around and yelling (happily, at least). And then he'd wake up for the day around 5. So he was tired and cranky a lot of the daytime, and awake college-student hours at night. Not much fun!

Now, back to the future... It seems that we've taken a turn for the better over the past couple of days. We've had a lot of talks about staying in bed, and will look out the window before we go to sleep to, hopefully, alleviate the interest in whatever is driving by the house. When Thad put Nate to sleep last night he asked if Nate understood about having to stay in bed, to which Nate replied, "Yes. If I hear a lion outside, I don't get out of bed to look. If I hear an elephant outside I don't get out of bed to look."

3 comments:

carolyn said...

We've had similar discipline issues with Samantha staying in bed. These days when we put her to bed she says, "NOT gonna look out the window! NOT gonna pick out clothes! NOT gonna read books!" We'll let her have "book time and then lights out"later, but for now it's a trick to get her to stay in bed.

Holly said...

But if a three-legged gnarly hurgner passes by wearing a flannel shirt and playing a harmonica, I hope you'll let the poor kid look out the window. (That way he can explain to his aunt what, exactly, a gnarly hurgner is.)

darwin said...

You'll have to have that talk with him again come late December... you know, the whole Santa thing?