Tuesday, November 2, 2010

center of our universe

Guess what I'm here to talk about once again? Poop! Yes, we are still stuck here in our poopcentric house. Such is life. And I know I owe you the requisite cute Halloween pics... coming soon!

Anja is taking after her brother and pooping way more than she ingests. She was on a regular once-a-day schedule but has now switched to a three-a-day cycle that I absolutely abhor. Not only that, but whenever we change her she tries to grab the dirty diaper and/or the poop. If that is unsuccessful she just grabs at her poop-covered undercarriage. Nice.

In other sh!tty news, Nate is very, very excited about potty talk. We've had to ban "poop" from mealtime talk, so Nate is getting around this by saying things like, "koo koo head" instead. I think things have been compounded by school where it seems every boy in his class will fall into fits of hysterics over the word "poop." If it weren't so incessant it might actually be amusing, all these four year olds cracking up. Also, everything Nate does now ends with "poop," even if he's alone. I caught him singing "I'm a Little Teapot" to himself a few days ago, but his version ends, "tip me over and pour me POOP!!!" Similarly, the alphabet song now concludes with, "next time won't you sing with POOP!!" I can assure you that this is very, very funny. At least it is if you ask Nate.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Yup, we're in the same boat on both accounts. Madeleine is also a 3-time-a-day pooper and the first thing she does as soon as I open the diaper is grab her poopy crotch area with both hands. Fun times. And Julia also thinks potty talk is hysterical. Last night I overheard this between her and Ethan: "Daddy, do you POOP in your PANTS?" "Yup." "Daddy, does it feel NICE AND SQUISHY in your pants?" "Yup." "Daddy, do you like it when it feels NICE AND SQUISHY in your pants?" I guess Ethan forgot that we're not encouraging the potty talk...

Anonymous said...

On a more general note, Tessa now refers to her rear end as "my boooooty!" in any and all circumstances. She finds it hilarious, and I need a paper bag for my head when we're out and about. This one, I swear, did not originate with us!

Unknown said...

If you use a changing table, you could try a day-care trick for keeping Anja's hands out of her diaper. We used to hang a toy over the table; a simple sticky-backed hook for the ceiling and a length of elastic are all you need, then you tie a good knot around one of those plastic links so you can switch toys in and out (for cleaning and variation) by slipping them onto the link. You might get a little mileage out of the distraction, though if she's determined (which it sounds like she is!) or if you change her in multiple locations, it's probably not worth it.
You may have already tried this, but we also would sometimes give kids something "special" (i.e.: something they normally didn't get to play with) to hold onto while getting changed.