Thursday, September 13, 2007

raise your hands in the air

Hand gestures have really caught on with Nate. He seems to be beginning to understand what's going on and he's started clapping and waving. And yesterday I asked him, "where's dada?" and he looked right at Thad! He, of course, did nothing when asked where I was. That will be the real milestone! This new comprehension is really exciting, except that it marks the beginning of the "baby sponge" phase, which often leads unintentionally to the "baby swearing or saying an otherwise unaccepted or personal thing out in public." So now we REALLY have to work on cleaning up our language. This shouldn't be too much of a problem, except when it comes to driving. Perhaps Thad will have to chauffeur us all around for a while until I can get control of myself!

Speaking of cars, after months (and for once I'm not being sarcastic) of debate, we have finally settled on a carseat for Nate. He's almost too big for the infant one we have, but definitely too small for the forward-facing seats. So the clever carseat manufacturers will be weasling another $250 from us since we now need to buy an intermediate seat (aka "convertable") that can be used in both rear- and forward-facing positions. Of course, once Nate gets even bigger, he'll outgrow this seat and need a bigger one. Then comes the booster seat... Anyway, we did some research and decided on the latest and greatest - the Recaro. This company makes racecar seats so they're being touted as the new safety-focused seats, which is key in our minds. But their carseat line is relatively new and in high demand. It took us a while to decide between the two convertible models, but we finally settled on the "one." But getting the seat is reminding me of the Cabbage Patch Kids craze back when I was a kid. These babies are selling like hotcakes! Within a few days of when they arrived at our local Gucci baby store, they were all gone. I happened to stop by yesterday and they had JUST received a shipment, so we snatched one up. We get it installed next Tuesday, so hopefully Nate will be more comfortable in his cushy new ride. He still gets to watch the back of the seat, but he'll do it in style (and safety!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of the scene in Meet the Fockers where DeNiro and the kid are driving along in the RV and the kid says, "Ash-hoe!" a couple of times.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Julia very clearly knows Ethan is "dada" but looks off blankly whenever asked where "mama" is. It will come in time, I suppose!