Saturday, September 1, 2007

shake your head

Other than a bit of stuffiness, Nate is back in good health. And cruising all over the house. He is still most interested in things that aren't particularly safe, so we have to keep an eye on him all the time.

The only remaining (possible) health issue is that he's not eating as much as he used to. We're not sure if this is because he's still getting better, if he's not hungry, or just doesn't want what we have to offer. But, really, how can you go wrong with a menu of unseasoned, pureed foods and meat sticks? So he has this new habit of shaking his head side to side and putting up his hands in front of his face as if to say, "Oh, no, no. Not for me, thank you very much!" It was funny at first, and seems quite dramatic, but it's starting to get old. And he seems to do it for everything - various spoon-fed vittles, finger foods, etc. The trick, we have found, is that if you give him a spoon, he will let you feed him. But if he is sans-spoon, it's the head shake. The only other thing that we've consistently gotten him to eat is goldfish. Or would that be "are goldfish?"

Speaking of head shaking, has anyone heard Paul McCartney's new song "Nod Your Head"? I am having a crisis over this song because it is absolutely horrific. I seriously think it could be the worst song ever. Worse than "Mexican Radio" and "Rock'n'Roll Pumpkhin" (say it again!). Worse than the Goldfish jingle, even! I mean, the chorus is, "Nod it up. Nod it down. Side to side. Round and round." Is the song written for Nate? It seems like a good preschooler song, something you'd do right after "The Wheels on the Bus." I've seriously been haunted by the awfulness of this song for a couple of days now. The other night I had a horrible sleep because I kept waking up thinking about "Nod Your Head." For real (at least I've moved on from turkeys!) A big part of my horror is because the song's by Sir Paul, the Guinness Book's most successful musician and composer in pop history. And I assume at this point in his career he can't blame bad music on his record label - I'm betting he gets all the artistic freedom he wants. Yet the man who gave us "Yesterday" is churning out junk like "Nod Your Head"?!?! And I had hoped that all the turmoil in the world would at least result in some good new music (like it did in the late 60s) - boy, was I wrong there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! I heard this song the other day and couldn't BELIEVE a former Beatle could possibly have been involved in its writing or performance! --Gina