It seems like everyone's traveling to warmer places these days. Sol's off to San Diego for his residency, and Laura and Steve are headed to Colombia to adopt their daughter, Carmen Elizabeth! We, on the other hand, will be layering our Icelandic sweaters here in balmy Boston. In fact, in a few weeks we're planning on going to Vermont where it's even colder. I like cold, but I'm not all that excited about frigid.
Nate will not wear mittens. We have two pairs: a puffy, hard-core, LL Bean pair, which he wants nothing to do with; and a knitted pair from Great Aunt Linda that he is content to have in the same room but still doesn't want on his hands. He throws a fit if we even suggest putting them on, and then complains about having cold hands when we go outside. I have pointed out that mittens would solve the cold hand issue, but then he's really mad because his hands are cold and I again suggested torturing him with mittens. I'm kind of baffled about how to handle that one.
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm sure that it's not news to you that rarely is anything that kids that young do or think is logical. I think Nate's discovered what us adults consciously know - mittens take away any real manual dexterity. It's a foreign feeling and he doesn't like it. Any chance you can make a deal with him?
This was us when Henry was two as well. He cried and cried when I would even show him his mittens. But now at three he really likes to wear them, and if there are no mittens nearby, he'll ask if he can put his cold hands in his pockets. I'm not even joking.
When I was little, our neighbor used to knit the boys on our road mittens with a gun pattern in them. They they's go outside and play Cops and Robbers, holding their hands like guns and shooting. In this PC age, I don't know how that would go over, but my brother and his friends loved them.
Try gloves if you can find them in a small size and advertise them to Nat as a "big boy" thing to do.
ok I want to go make gun mittens for myself now... awesome!!
Post a Comment