Saturday, December 19, 2009

the second child

People say not to compare your kids, but really, how can you not? Here are some musings on our first couple of weeks.

Poop
Both Nate and Anja poop a lot. This seems to be something they have in common. Buy stock in Pampers.

Eating
Anja is already a much better eater than Nate. Despite Yeastfest 2009 (which does seem to be improving - hooray!) we are already leaps and bounds ahead of where Nate and I were three years ago. Although Nate started off relatively well, we never really got the hang of things and it just went downhill from there. Anja and I seem to be more in sync, and she also eats much faster. I'm keeping my fingers crossed things stay on this path!

Spit
Anja spits more than Nate. Perhaps this is because she is actually eating and, thus, has something in her belly to regurgitate.

Noise
My, albeit fuzzy, recollection is that Nate sounded like a goat in his early days. Anja sounds more like a squeeky dog toy. She grunts too, though, so perhaps she's morphing into a farm animal.

Attention
Not surprisingly, it is challenging to balance two kids and their needs, not to mention my own (and Thad's). We have been trying to be diligent second parents, so Anja doesn't complain that we didn't pay as much attention to here, that there are no pictures of her, etc. But as much as we have been trying, Nate seems to have his own agenda. Here are a couple of Where's Waldo-esque pictures of Anja's early days (the pie is Anja's face, made by Nate and Sous Chef Pop Pop):

2 comments:

laura said...

That's funny about the pictures! I'm the youngest of two, and my photographer dad was in his slides phase then. So, they SAY there are lots of pictures of me, they're just all slides. Nowadays, you can tell her, "They're are lots, I just need to download them from the camera," wink-wink.

Courtney said...

I was literally CRACKING UP over those pictures. I really did have to look hard to find where she was!