Friday, January 12, 2007

i bought coffee beans

So, I really related to this recent post at Mom's Daily Dose:
http://blogs.clubmom.com/daily_dose/2007/01/so_what_do_you_.html

Similarly, I often feel at a loss when asked what I've been doing. Usually I've been changing diapers and driving to and from doctor's appointments. I do eat, although not on a typical schedule, and rarely at a normal pace. And occasionally I sleep. I have been trying to catch up on email but haven't done very well at that and still have messages I want to reply to that arrived soon after Nate was born. I'm not sure why I have the desire to tell people something I find exciting or interesting. Or why I don't think it's exciting enough to tell someone that I ate breakfast. I mean, I was pretty excited about that, so why shouldn't I share? And most people are repeatedly saying that I don't need to tell them anything, and that it's just nice to say hi (and usually get a report on the latest treatment for The Rash), so it's not like there's pressure from outside that makes me feel the need to share something. I think I might just still be in a daze because I switched from this pretty diverse and comfortable life where I took eating breakfast with two hands for granted to one that revolves almost entirely around someone else's poop.

So in the spirit of embracing my new lifestyle and sharing things of importance to me, today I took a shower. In the morning. And when I got out Nate wasn't even crying. And that makes it very exhilarating. And I bought coffee beans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Well, we've all heard it before, "Having a kid is a life changing event." What seems so insignificant and inane before is a total big deal now. You share what you want and what's important for you and you find your excitement wherever you find it, whether it's breakfast or it's news on The Rash. Like any one of us is really going to fault you for that. And really... you've hit upon most bloggers' entry-to-entry dilemma, "Is this really important enough to talk about; is anybody really going to care; who am I keeping this blog for anyway?"

That said, congratulations on getting coffee beans. I'm in bad need of some myself. Any tips on where to get good ones here in town?

carlbohudakson said...

Oh, yes! For coffee head to Java Joe's at the public market. They're open Thurs-Sun until around 2pm, I think. We like their espresso beans best of any we've tried, and they have a great selection of other coffees, including free trade and decaf. Yum!
http://www.clubjava.com/

Anonymous said...

Yes! A FWOK--friend without kids-- asked me the other night whether I had "started talking to the radio", i.e. was I going stir crazy in my house? And what do I *do*? Uh, I change diapers. I jiggle/sway/rock/feed/soothe a small human. I try to do laundry, but one load can easily take all day. For some reason I had a really hard time explaining this in a way that a FWOK could *really* understand. I don't mean that in a condescending or "just wait till *you* have kids" way--it just *is* hard to explain!

I hear ya: The other day I took a shower in the morning while S slept in her bassinet, and I was so amazed. Proud. Felt free. :) But I think I still ended up having to eat breakfast quickly, with one hand, while standing up. I know exactly what you're talking about!!