Thursday, July 17, 2008

farewell to mimi

Over the past few days, Nate's speech has really improved. He's started consistently putting two words together - he's done this before on occasion, but now it's a regular thing. Nine times out of ten it involves a truck. Dump truck. Big truck. Garbage truck. Orange truck. Mail truck. You get the gist. The other 10% it involves food, usually a request for more of something. More bread. More yogurt...

The major casualty of these newfound linguistic abilities is me. When Nate started talking, he called me, "mimi." At first, I was mildly irritated that Thad was "dada" and then "daddy" while I got a goofy nickname. My mother became "mama," which was also a little annoying, since that was supposed to me my name. But over the months, mimi's grown on me and I've come to really love it, especially when Nate says it in his cute little voice. But a few days ago out of nowhere he suddenly started calling me "mommy," and mimi magically disappeared from his vocabulary. Perhaps mimi is like Puff the Magic Dragon (spoiler alert!) - when Jackie grows up, Puff dies. Now Nate's getting older and, like Puff, mimi is gone. Darn, that song always makes me cry (no joke). I'm off to find tissues...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read the lyrics for the first time. It IS sad!

Unknown said...

Maybe imaginary David will disappear too and I'll get more attention.

carlbohudakson said...

Sorry, Jean, but Didi lives strong. Thanks in large part to the book "No David!" Invisible Didi is a regular part of our conversations. And earlier today Nate called Davis Square "Didi" Square. I think you are out of luck. :P

Wendy said...

hilarious. and sad at the same time. i always say i will write down the little things my nieces and nephews said when they were little. My favorite was my nephew's word for poop. it was "boof". :) awesome.

Anonymous said...

this made me tear up a bit too. :(

stephchows said...

Neva... TAG you're it! I tagged you with a meme...which is kinda like mimi... check it out :D

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you... and I'm not looking forward to the day when Aunt Hagie (which Nate adorably pronounces kind of like "Aunt Huggy") falls by the wayside, too. :(
Holly