Boy, do I miss Wegmans and the Rochester Public Market. Since moving in, we've tried out four supermarkets, five hardware stores, two liquor stores, and one farmer's market, and none of them hold a candle to our Rochester options. Really, I most miss the selection at Wegmans - I could pick up produce, charcoal, cleaning supplies, paper towels, beer, and reasonably-priced milk all in one stop. We've got a Trader Joe's nearby, which is great for specialty foods, but doesn't have some of the more generic stuff (baking powder, for instance). There's a Roche Brothers, which I also liked a lot, but they're about 15 minutes away, so it's not ideal for a quick trip out for milk. I'm sure we'll figure it all out, but at this point it looks like we'll have four our five shopping lists:
BJs - for bulk things, like paper goods, perhaps some produce, dog food
Roche Brothers - general food stuff
Stop and Shop or Shaws - milk
Whole Foods - produce, meat
Target - household goods that aren't in mega BJs sizes
I have to say, I think that's kind of ridiculous. We're going to spend more time going from store to store than cooking. Hopefully we'll work out the kinks soon!
We're on the lookout for a good farmers market in the area too. We went to the Winchester Farmers Market, which had good quality produce, but it was super expensive. More than Whole Foods, even! Not like Rochester, where a bushel of tomatoes costs $1 - we will have to stock up when we visit (and either learn how to can foods or gorge ourselves for a few days upon returning!)
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The Public Market is really great right now especially. The taco stand girl (Cassy?) has been notified that you are coming and is happy.
wait this sounds like you have a trip to rochester already planned??? when will you be here!?!?!?!? i can't wait!!!!! :D
I'm right there with you on missing Wegman's. Albany's food shopping options aren't exactly on par with them either. I've already got a list going of what I want to buy next time I'm in Rochester.
Post a Comment