The delivery and hospital stay were relatively uneventful, which is a good thing. As they say (whoever they are) the second labor was much faster than the first. Unlike with Nate, where I didn't know I was in labor, this time I realized, probably around 8 or 9pm on Friday, that it had started but was just in denial for a couple of hours. We arrived at the hospital around 1 or 1:30 am, and Anja was born a few minutes before 6. With the exception of a few blood pressure drops that made me almost faint, the delivery was pretty much by the book with nothing particularly exciting to report (except for some gross stuff, of which I will spare you the details!)
Both Anja and my recoveries went well too, with no major issues. I had tested positive for Strep B so I was on an antibiotic drip during the delivery. Annoyingly, we were four minutes short of the full dose when Anja was born, so she received a 48-hour dose of antibiotics at the hospital, just to ensure she didn't pick up any infections during the birth. This happened with Nate too, but in his case they kept him in the nursery for the entire hospital stay; this time they let Anja stay in our room and took her out just when she needed to receive the medication. Turns out she was germ-free so we were both released this morning.
The only negative to our experience was that, due to the H1N1 flu and its risk to infants, nobody under 18 was allowed into the maternity ward, including siblings. So we weren't able to have Nate visit, which was really hard for me. Hard for him too, I think. He did meet up with Thad and I in the hospital cafeteria a couple of times, but he didn't meet Anja until we arrived home. I'm glad to be all together again and settling back into our lives.
1 comment:
We are very happy for you guys. After you are all settled in, we need to Skype. Carmen would love to talk to Nate and Anja I'm sure. We have a chatter on our hands I think :) I love the family of 4 picture!
Post a Comment