Friday, January 15, 2010

going back in time

My sleep deprivation is getting to me and I realized I haven't updated you all on Anja's month one stats. Normally, a two-week delay isn't that big of a deal, but the kid is only six weeks old so I'm a third of her lifetime behind. Not only that, but I didn't write down any of the details from her doctor's appointment, so I am relying on my not-so-functional brain to regurgitate her stats. Here goes nothing... Anja is growing at a normal pace and was 8 1/2 pounds at her one month appointment (I'm guessing she's 9 or 9 1/2 pounds now). She may have grown two inches since she was born. Her head circumference is an unknown but healthy measurement bigger. Her growth charts are normal and unremarkable. Exciting, to say the least!

On the subject of sleep deprivation, it has come to my attention that Thad and I have very different, yet equally annoying, issues with falling back asleep. I can't shut my brain off, and it's worse at 3am when all is quiet. I try to go to sleep, yet my brain is racing with completely unimportant, often asinine, thoughts. One night I was up thinking about high school (thank you Facebook). The next night I was up thinking about Glee. As if it wasn't annoying enough having flashbacks to my own high school, thinking about a fictional one is even more irritating. Then my thoughts switched to ways of making the window shades in Nate's room fit better. On the other hand, Thad's brain goes completely blank. This would normally be a good sleep-inducing technique, but he will then get a burst of something popping into his head randomly. The other night he kept hearing Emmett "Doc" Brown from Back to the Future yelling, "One point twenty one gigawatts!"

2 comments:

Amelia said...

i don't know if this will work for you, but when my mind is racing, i listen to something that will distract me from my own thoughts (for me, sports radio). not so significant that it keeps me up, but distracting enough to keep me out of my own head!

laura said...

Similarly, we set the sleep timer on the TV. We have fallen asleep to "Family Guy" for YEARS!