Thursday, December 7, 2006

flashback... the first week

I don't really remember much about Nate's first week, even though it was only a couple of weeks ago. I know that I was awake for most of it, and spent lots of time feeding Nate. We were put on a three hour feeding schedule, meaning there are three hours between the beginning of one feeding and the beginning of the next. Unless Nate was hungry earlier. So if he fed for an hour at noon and was hungry again at 2, then I got a whopping 1 hour break. The benefit of this (aside from a healthy child, of course!) is that now having a three hour break feels amazingly extravagant!


My parents were with us when we left the hospital on Wed, and Thad's parents and sister came to visit for the weekend. They were all great about helping around the house and I remember yummy food being placed in front of me a few times a day. I know we went to the pediatrician a few times, and I think we made a bunch of trips to Babies R Us for supplies we didn't realize we needed - BTW, I would recommend that any parent of a new boy load up on washclothes. We ignorantly thought we had enough until the first day of diaper changing. Our little guy squirts A LOT. We had heard about this phenomenon from friends, but didn't really understand until our first diaper change at home - Other than that, most of the week is a blur. I'm guessing this exhaution-induced haze explains why many people have multiple children. We just don't remember what went on with the previous kids!

When babies are first born they loose some weight in their first few days. It seems that most doctors want them to get back to their birth weight by two weeks of age. We found out that Nathaniel had gained back his birth weight plus a couple of ounces by one week. He's a true Corbo-Hudak/Carlson kid - likes to eat! Other than knowing that he was healthy and growing well, the most exciting part of this news was that we are now allowed to let him sleep a little longer at night. Whoopee!

No comments: