
So, we'll try to do updates on the past few weeks to get you caught up with all the exciting things we've been up to. First up, the delivery. So, I was having what I thought were false labor pains starting around lunchtime on Nov 12. I thought they were quite annoying and I told a number of people about how irritating they were. My astute (and at that time pregnant) friend Courtney said, "are you sure it's not REAL labor?" - that was my first clue.
Anyway, I eventually come to the realization that it was in fact the real deal, and after one false alarm (the contractions got close together but then slowed back down around 3am) we ended up at the hospital. After two unsuccessful attempts at breaking my water, an epidural (quite possibly the best decision I've ever made!), pitosin, and hours of contractions stuck at 3-5 minutes apart, the doctor decided to do a check just to see if anything had progressed at all. So she takes a quick peek and says surprisedly, "I see the head!" What?! Now, anyone who has given birth, I ask in advance for your forgiveness, because I pushed for 15-20 minutes (with my contractions still around 3 minutes apart) and out pops Nathaniel. It was so fast, we were all in a bit of a daze. He was born Nov 13 at 7:25pm and was 6 lbs 10.5 oz, 19.75 inches.
Nate unfortunately had a collapsed lung and needed to go to the special care nursery (kind of like an intermediate level NICU). Also, the amniotic fluid never appeared (which explains the unsuccessful water breaking attempts) so there was concern about possible infection, so they also put Nate on IV antibiotics. To make a long story short, he healed up nicely and was released 48 hours later, so we were all free to head home late on Nov 15.
My sister was actually at the hospital for the birth, and my parents arrived an hour or so after the birth (and were great about bringing food for Thad and cappuccino for me - decaf, of course!)
No comments:
Post a Comment