Thursday, March 22, 2007

ghost baby

I've been hearing a phantom baby. Nate will be in his room sleeping and I'll think he's crying, so I shush everyone only to hear silence. This has been going on for a while now, maybe a couple of months? It reminds me of when you stare at a light and then look away and still see spots. I hear a crying and turn away and hear the ghosted remains of the sound. Only difference is I hear the crying hours after Nate's in bed, where the sun spots go away in a minute or two. Thad doesn't seem to have this problem, and correctly hears when there is a baby crying and when he is quiet. My friend Amelia came to visit yesterday and I confessed my hallucinations to her and she replied, "I've only been here a day and I'm hearing the phantom cries too!" Is this some kind of female thing? Are we somehow wired to hear babies, even when they are sleeping? Or perhaps I'm just a little crazier than I realized?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neva, it's not just you! This has happened to me ever since Parker was born. Don't worry - your house isn't haunted. ;-) -Gina

Anonymous said...

Happens to me too. I think it's a side-effect of that "supersonic mom hearing"! Kind of creepy, though. If I were in an older house, I'd wonder....

Anonymous said...

Personally, I like the nuts theory. We are all a bit crazy, but at least I know my ears are sane.

Anonymous said...

I think I favor a combination of a couple of theories... yes, you're probably a little crazier than you thought (you're a maniacal Sox fan all!). But I also favor the theory that you're tuned in to hearing babies cry. Not necessarily just your own kid, just babies crying.

Unknown said...

that happens with my alarm clock. I'll turn it off in the morning, get up, go to the bathroom or kitchen and i think i hear it going off again. Maybe its genetic?