Monday, March 5, 2007

marital distress

So I got yet another splinter today while bouncing around the house with Nate. If they don't wiggle out on their own, Thad, our resident surgeon, usually removes them with our trusty tweezers. They are pointy at the end, not the blunt kind frequently used for excessive body hair, so they work well for splinters. So tonight over dinner I say nonchalantly, "I have a splinter. Could you help take it out?" To which my lovely husband replies, "Sure." Then he goes into the kitchen and returns with our chef's knife. I give him a startled look and he chuckles and puts it back (I say "back" instead of "away" because he returned it to the drying rack where he found it, not to the knife holder where it "lives." He washed it so I probably shouldn't complain.) Next he picks up a paring knife. I think, "Haha! That joker! He has another knife. How funny." But after a few seconds I realize that he is SERIOUS! I freak out but he thinks it's perfectly normal to remove a splinter with a 4-inch knife. "What's the difference," he asked, "between the point on the knife and the point on the tweezers? They do the same thing." But I was too freaked out and, leaving my husband in disbelief, am now sitting here typing with a shard of hardwood flooring in my foot.

So the question is, am I crazy (with regards to the splinter/knife issue, not in general. We all clearly know that answer)? Or has Sweeney Thad gone off the deep end?

Is removing splinters with kitchen knives a disturbing prospect?
yes
no
pollcode.com free polls

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Along a spectrum of acceptable splinter-removal implements, I think a paring knife falls closer to tweezers and a swiss-army/leatherman (acceptable and routinely used) than to chef’s knife (borderline, but I’ve done it) or machete (unacceptable).

carlbohudakson said...

Y tu, mi primo? I'm assuming this is the elder cabby, as I find it difficult to picture Lu picking out her splinters with a chef's knife. :P

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I have to agree with cousin cabby there. I've used the Swiss Army Knife to remove splinters (sadly, only becuase I lost the tweezers that came with the knife). But, you should ask Nate this question. If he laughs, then he probably isn't freaked out. If he only answers with 'Ga'... well, that could go either way.

Anonymous said...

Knives, not terribly disturbing. I usually use nail scissors and a sewing needle, but I could see how a knife could work.

Kitchen knives, however, that's a bit disturbing. Unless you have a designated splinter knife among your kitchen cutlery.

stephchows said...

next time i come to your house for dinner i'm bringing my own knife for eating with ;)