Sunday, April 22, 2007

anyone in a trench?

Because I could use a tip. Recently, when I'm feeding Nate he has taken to beating me up. He swipes at me and hits me in the face, neck, and chest. He grabs my neck and twists and pinches. And he sticks his hand in my mouth and yanks at it. If I hold his hand, he flails himself backwards every so often. Based on our recent falling incident, I'm rather anxious about him flailing so hard he rolls himself off my lap and back onto his head (and, therefore, back in to the ER). I'd rather sacrifice myself to brace the back of his body, but there must be a way to have my cake and eat it too. Or at least survive the 5-6 daily feedings without too many scratches and bruises. I guess I could put mittens on the little bugger? It seems like this must be an issue for other moms. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm.....The only thing I can think of is the same advice I heard for moms whose babies bite when feeding: that is to put the baby down when the offending behavior occurs, and then pick him back up again after a few seconds, so that the baby learns that if he does that thing then he won't have mom's physical attention. Unfortunately I don't have any experience to tell you whether it actually works. :)