Wednesday, October 10, 2007

lightbulb moments

I'm not sure how I forgot to mention this, but Gramma Carlson taught Nate how to sign "light." It took her approximately five minutes. Clearly, the kid takes after his mom - all that brain power! At first we thought it was a fluke and were thinking, "sure Gramma, whatever," like when Grandma Corbo jokingly insisted that Nate said "light" at Christmastime, but this time he really, truely seems to get it. When he looks at a light, Nate opens and closes his hand. I'm not sure this is the actual ASL sign, but it works for us, especially since Nate's vocabulary these days involves two letters - A and D - strung together in a variety of formats (Ada! Dada! Dad!) And he's applied his new sign to ceiling lamps, floor lamps, table lamps, street lamps... you name it. This means a few things to me: a) this kid's pretty smart, b) it would be helpful to apply this technique to other things, and c) I have GOT to clean up my language. Following my advice to myself, I started working on "more" today at mealtime. I actually know this sign myself - it involves putting all your fingertips together. So far all I'm getting from Nateis clapping, which is close, but he claps all the time so it's hard to tell what's a sign and what's just clapping. But if we can master "more" (and "done") this could alleviate a lot of dinnertime screaming, which would be great!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Go Nate! Samantha also claps all the time, and she waves when prompted. We've been working on "More", which we hope will one day supplant all the YELLING at mealtimes. Hello to Gramma Carlson from us!

Anonymous said...

yay, nate! "more" and "done" were about as far as we got with signing with henry, but they were lifesavers.