Thursday, June 14, 2007

new laundry issues

When Nate was really little, he'd go through three or four outfits a day, mostly due to leaky diapers. So we (aka Thad) were constantly doing laundry. He is no longer as fashion conscious, and fits much better in his Pampers; however, we have a new laundry conundrum. Now that Nate's eating solid foods, we have a regular stream of dirty bibs. We are going through them like hotcakes! They're all pretty small, and it would take at least a week to amass enough dirty bibs to make a load of laundry. We probably have two to three messy bibs (plus food-covered clothing sometimes too!) a day, and I don't want to put them in the basement for fear of attracting fun household creatures like mice, so they've been piling up in the kitchen (clearly a much better place for mice than the basement.) For now, the dirty ones just pile up on the counter. We've tried rinsing them, but then they're wet and we don't really know where to put them, so those get spread all over the kitchen. I'm not so excited about piles of dirty bibs, wet or dry, sitting out in 90-degree temperatures. I'm still not convinced it's better to do tons of little loads of laundry than it would be to just use something disposable, but I feel environmentally unconscious using disposable stuff when we're home and could easily use the old school version. Oh, the trials and tribulations of parenthood!

5 comments:

stephchows said...

my mom says

"Bibs are messy. I always hated them for that exact reason. I had a soft bendable bib. It was solid and had kind of a curled up bottom in front. It caught the big stuff. You just rinsed it off.
It lasted forever because it wasn't a throw away."

not sure if you can find one but there you go!!

-phanie

stephchows said...

Found one! Go get it :)

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-11/qid=1181854872/ref=sr_1_11/601-7392180-7442531?ie=UTF8&asin=B000CC1F8M

Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest a rubber suit and diving mask for Nate so you could hose him off....but the rubber bib is a better idea I suppose :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, a plastic/rubber bib with a pocket or curled edge is a must - especially when Nate starts eating food that is cut into pieces. Instead of fishing the pieces of food out of goodness knows where, they are neatly caught by the bib (that is, until Nate decides to start throwing the pieces of food...ahhh, the joys of parenting a toddler!).

;-) Gina

Aunt doris said...

Neva, you had a yellow bib just like the one Stephanie described. It's probably still kicking around our attic!